One of the wonderful things about medical cannabis is its versatility. There are many consumption options beyond the traditional dried flower format, such as pre-rolls, and edibles. It is important to find a consumption method that you are comfortable with. In this blog, we'll look at some other forms of medical cannabis and provide some quick tips for safely consuming them.
Live resin is a highly concentrated and undiluted form of cannabis, derived directly from flash frozen flower to extract the most active and flavourful terpenes and cannabinoids. The result is a super high concentrate with a bright, golden/orange appearance. The top ways to consume live resin are:
• “Dabbing,” using a mechanism known as a dab rig
• Adding to (or “topping off”) a joint or bowl
• Vaping with a tool that is concentrate compatible (such as the Utillian 721)
Like rosin, it is important to start with a small amount of live resin, as it may contain a high concentration of THC and the inhalation consumption method produces a rapid onset of effect compared to ingestibles.
Cannabis oil is obtained via an extraction process, directly from the original dried flower. While extraction methods may differ, Aurora uses a CO2 method that preserves the original plant cannabinoids, resulting in a full-spectrum resin. Using cannabis oil is very easy. To use it, simply:
• Extract your desired dosage using the provided syringe
• Release the oil under your tongue and wait approximately 30 to 60 seconds for absorption (this may differ from patient to patient)
• Clean and rinse your syringe with hot water after each use and let it dry
• Optional: Add the oil to your favourite food/drinks.
Compared to inhaled cannabis, ingested cannabis can take longer to have an effect, so make sure to “start slow, go slow” meaning you should begin with a low dose and wait up to 120 minutes to assess the effects before administering an additional dose.
Isolates are typically products that have a single cannabinoid in them (like only CBD) and can come in many different format, such as powders, oils and all types of edible products. Aurora offers an isolate that is an odorless powder and is meant to be taken either sublingually (placed under your tongue until dissolved) or ingested by adding it to drinks, sauces, soups, etc.
To consume Aurora’s CBD Isolate, simply follow one of the below options:
• Place directly under your tongue until dissolved
• Stir into drinks (smoothies, water, etc.) or food (sauces, soups, etc.)
• This isolate is fully decarbed, meaning the CBD is active and does not need to be heated, though the powder will dissolve quicker in warm foods/drinks (note that if the food or drink is too hot, it could degrade the CBD).
Rosin is a concentrated form of cannabis with a dark orange/brown appearance. People may enjoy this form of cannabis because of its flavour, lack of combustion, and extremely high potency level. Hash rosin can be consumed using several different methods, such as:
• “Dabbing,” using a mechanism known as a dab rig
• Added to a bowl or a bong
• Vaporizers compatible with concentrates (such as the Utillian 721)
There are other methods of consuming it as well, though these are the most popular. It’s important to note that some rosin may contain a very high level of THC. If you intend on consuming rosin, you should follow Health Canada’s guideline of “start low, go slow” where you should begin with a tiny dose, then wait 30 minutes to assess the effects before administering an additional dose.
Another form of cannabis concentrate is cannabis diamonds. These solid crystal structures resemble diamonds and have a semi-transparent appearance. They can be consumed via different methods, including:
• Dab rigs
• Dab pens
• Crushed into joints
Just like hash rosin and live resin, cannabis diamonds may contain a high concentration of THC and the inhalation consumption method produces a rapid onset of effect compared to ingestibles. It’s important to follow Health Canada’s guideline of “start low, go slow.”
Shatter is another form of concentrated cannabis extract. Because of its brittle and glass-like nature, it can easily shatter (hence the name). It is popular for its appealing gold-colored appearance. You can use shatter in a few different ways, such as:
• A vaporizer compatible with concentrates
• Dabbing, using a mechanism called a dab rig
It’s important to start with a small amount of shatter, as it contains a high concentration of THC, and the inhalation consumption method produces a rapid onset of effect compared to ingestibles.
Notes on Dabbing
Dabbing is the process of consuming concentrates by vaporizing them through a glass water-pipe (rig, bong, or portable). The concentrate is "dabbed" onto a heated nail (made from quartz) or banger (made from glass or titanium) where it is vaporized.
Dabbing can be convenient, but it can also be hazardous if you aren't careful. Here are some things to keep in mind:
• Keep track of what items are hot while dabbing
• Always “torch” in well-ventilated areas
• Do not place your rig on the edge of any surface.
• Keep your dab rig away from children/pets or anyone/anything that can knock it over
• Clean and rinse out your dab rig often with hot water and 99% Isopropyl alcohol.
Vaping is another way to inhale cannabis, but rather than smoking a joint, you’ll be using an electronic device that heats the dried flower or oil versus burning the flower. There are many different kinds of vapes and they vary in size (some are small enough to fit in your hand while others need to be stationary sitting on a table) and the type of cannabis they can be used with (some use oil vape cartridges while others work with dried flower). Vape pens are battery operated and compatible with vape cartridges. Using Aurora’s 510 Thread Battery as an example, to use it, simply:
• Screw a compatible cartridge onto the battery pack
• Turn the battery on
• Press your lips to the mouthpiece and inhale until the desired effect is achieved
• No need to “hold it in.” Casually inhale/exhale like normal
It’s best to store your vape in an upright position and at room temperature. Avoid sudden and frequent changes in temperature and/or atmospheric pressure. In general, always remember to handle your vape pen with care.
If you are new to vaping, it is recommended to “start slow, go slow.” Begin with a single inhalation and wait at least 10 minutes to assess any effects. If the desired effect is not achieved, take an additional inhalation and wait another few minutes.
Have Any Other Questions About Consuming Cannabis?
We’re here to help! Please don’t hesitate to contact our Client Care team by email at email@example.com or by phone at 1-877-928-7672. We are open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET (6 a.m. to 4 p.m. PT).